Prevention issues retain an integral and permanent place on the SPC Board. SPC's Prevention mission is to:
- connect parents
by creating opportunities for communication among parents
- educate parents
by sharing sources for information about positive ways to journey with children/teens and offer resources where the facts about alcohol/drug use and other potentially destructive behavior can be found.
- support families
that are affected by drug/alcohol use and other destructive behaviors.
- Continue to develop an effective network among parent groups in order to share prevention ideas.
- Raise the profile of Prevention in our schools and community.
- Provide prevention information in the school community in a variety of vehicles, such as through school newsletters, PTO website, e-mail communications, prevention activities, etc. This way if parents are looking for information, it will be easy to find.
- Help parents communicate with each other and their children:
a. Promote the SafeHome Pledge.
Have a * in the school directory next to parents who have signed the pledge.
b. Encourage use of “Contract for Life” which helps parents talk to their kids about drugs and alcohol.
c. Inform and educate the parent community about the SUSD Code of Conduct. To help parents understand the “Code of Conduct” especially in terms of drug/alcohol violations.
- Offer support to school administration in prevention activities for students.
- Support District-sponsored prevention activities.
- Keep abreast of prevention events at the community level.
- Challenge the “stigma” that sometimes hinders parents from seeking information and affects families struggling with drugs & alcohol.